Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Astro City: The Tarnished Angel TPB



I love the cover by Alex Ross. It sets the mood for the book with an aged pulp novel design. Kurt Busiek, is one of my favorite writers and with Astro City he's created on of my favorite titles. Busiek, frequently takes archetypes, gives them a fresh spin and, makes them a compelling read.

The Tarnished Angel, follows recently paroled Steeljack, a career criminal looking to go straight. But, someone has other plans and begins killing off small-time super-villains. Steeljack seems to be the only person who cares. The odds are stacked against him but he decides to help out his friends in need.

Although the identity of the killer is telegraphed it doesn't ruin the story. Steeljack and his fellow down-on-their-luck comrades are interesting and, at times even sympathetic characters. Busiek and team, create another enjoyable read. I look forward to pick up more stories set in the Astro City universe.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a regular guy who's trained in Kickboxing and Submissions a little big here and there, and I love the sport of MMA.